Friday 26 April 2013

The Run

Me doing the run.  It look like it's hard work....which it was
Photo credit: Hannah Coaten
On Monday I finally ran the mile and a half that represents an hour’s worth of wool production.

It was strange to finally do the run after all the false starts with the weather.  I had also been poorly with a bad cough that meant that I could do the training I wanted to.  BUT it wasn’t a race it was an exercise in data capture; this is the information that would dictate the nature of my piece for Cloth and Memory 2.

There were only two other people in the room curator, June Hill up one end and embroiderer and photographer, Hannah Coaten up the other.  I had an heart monitor on and they recorded my heart rate and lap times at each end.

2 comments:

  1. Karina
    Your comments on the effect of a cough on your running made me think about the effect bad health would have had on the workers hearts as they laboured to produce a mile of cloth rather than run it. Perhaps there are ghosts of their heart beats in yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not an expert about this but I think the main work related illnesses that workers in the lobby faced were deafness (it was incredibly noisy) and lung problems from working in a dusty environment.......maybe that's what the cough was about......

      Delete