Wednesday 27 January 2021

A Geek's approach to metallic thread in eight easy stages. Part 2: Needles

Sewing machine needles aren’t really very exciting things to look at.  At a show like Festival of Quilts the customers aren’t 10 deep to buy needles.  Needles are usually sold in little packets which on first sight can all look the same. However they are the first thing that I look at when trouble shooting a problem with stitch out.  My best top tip in problem solving is to change the needle for a new one.  Hang on to the old one and if that isn’t the problem then you can always swap it back. Some say you should change your needle every time you start a new project. Schmetz recommend you change your needle every 8 hours.  Now you might think ‘Well they would say that, wouldn’t they’ but I have found that as soon as I start to have frequent thread breakage I will change the needle and frequently that will solve the issue.
I will not use a needle unless it’s a Schmetz or an Inspira one; I am sure there are other good brands, its just I know these needles work for me.  I know how to get them; I think they are well priced; they get me good results.

So lets talk a bit about the engineering and whats going on with a sewing machine needle.  A sewing machine needle has a shank (the bit that goes into the needle holder on the machine) and blade that ends in the point where the eye is.  The blade has a long grove that allows the thread to reach the eye and a scarf (flat bit)  at the back to help it pass through. Whilst the shank is standard, the blade, tip and eye are all variable.  Choosing the ‘right’ needle is like Goldilocks….you want it to make a hole that allows the thread to pass through but small enough that the hole is visible.  I personally try and go with and a solid heavy weight needle of about 14/90 although I’ve been using 12/80s lately.

But in my humble opinion it’s the eye of the needle that is key to working with metallic….so unsurprisingly I use a metallic needle.  The eye is much longer than the eye in standard needle and therefore the thread is not put under the same pressures.  I find this longer eye reduces shredding and breakages with any kind of delicate or fussy thread and I use them as standard now in my embroidery machines no matter what thread I am using.  The only time I dont anymore is if I need a jersey or a ballpoint needle because of the fabric I am working on.  I don’t find that they break more (although I have heard that they can be a little less robust than say a denim or topstitch needle).

And of course I have a pile of used, slightly dull metallic needles that aren’t blunt so I then wear them out on my conventional machine doing day to day sewing; think of it like the dressage horse handing its old competition saddle down to the Lord of the manor's horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment